|Best viewed using 1024 x 768|
Professor Remy Amador Presas
December 19th, 1936 to August 28th, 2001
IMAF Reflections of Year One
August 28, 2002, marks the first year anniversary of the passing of Professor Remy Amador Presas, Founder and Grandmaster of Modern Arnis. His death left a tremendous void in the world of martial arts, and in the hearts of martial artists worldwide. It is a void that will never be completely filled. In his passing, Professor authorized and mandated the International Modern Arnis Federation (IMAF), under the direction of the IMAF, Inc., to continue his Legacy and Vision in the Art of Modern Arnis. The IMAF is charged with the provision of quality access, training, and instruction of Modern Arnis to martial artists globally. In accordance with his mandate, the IMAF, Inc., has established a formal Code of Conduct and Curriculum to facilitate its mandate.
Let us take a brief moment to reflect on this first year that has gone by so quickly, and let us appreciate the progress and achievements accomplished by the IMAF, Inc., and its Members, to honor and continue the Legacy and Vision of Professor Remy A. Presas:
1. The IMAF, Inc. (IMAF), infrastructure was established and staffed through the establishment of the IMAF Steering Committee, the IMAF Board of Directors, and several key IMAF Committees, as directed by Professor. The first Annual Meeting of the IMAF Board of Directors was held in the 2002 Lansing Summer Camp. Strategic objectives and documents were reviewed and unanimously ratified by IMAF Board of Directors. Specific policies, procedures, and guidelines, were established and implemented including critical areas such as: IMAF Vision, IMAF Code of Conduct, and the IMAF Curriculum. Additionally, the IMAF Membership benefits/package was also established.
2. The IMAF leadership team conducted numerous Modern Arnis seminars, workshops, exhibitions, and demonstrations, in order to further expose and grow the Art of Modern Arnis. The IMAF also conducted five Modern Arnis camps that were all successfully attended. The emphasis on high-quality training, instruction, fun, and safety, were consistently and successfully implemented in these events.
3. The IMAF established and implemented the Certified Instructor and Apprentice Instructor programs to further provide quality access and training of Modern Arnis.
4. The IMAF membership roster continues to grow significantly with regards to individual memberships and instructor/school affiliated memberships.
5. The IMAF Members have participated successfully in national and international sport karate competitions in sparring, forms, and weapons, representing Modern Arnis and the IMAF.
6. The IMAF was invited to conduct the demonstration and training workshop for the National Filipino American Youth Association (NFAYA) national conference. The IMAF demo and instructional team executed well and received positive reviews and praises for their efforts of sharing Modern Arnis as part of the Filipino culture to NFAYA members and guests.
7. The IMAF has established international presence worldwide: Canada, Philippines, United Kingdom, Europe, South America, and Africa.
8. The IMAF has received support and praise for its efforts and accomplishments from numerous martial arts organizations at both the national and international levels.
9. The IMAF Philippines, in connection with Datu Shishir Inocalla, has declared its support for the IMAF in accordance with Professor's Legacy and Vision for Modern Arnis.
10. The IMAF is involved in fund-raising activities including the support for the film industry to bring awareness of Modern Arnis as part of the Filipino national culture and sport.
11. The IMAF is also involved in fund-raising activities for charitable events involving educational objectives, medical care, and aid, to the Philippines.
In summary, the first year of operations for the IMAF, Inc. (IMAF), has been a tremendous success at many levels. These accomplishments could not have been achieved without the deep commitments, talents, energy, time, and skills, of the IMAF Members. Many of the IMAF Members have been given awards and recognition for their self-less contributions.
However, let us not forget that this is just only the first of many steps for the IMAF in its plan to carry out Professor's Legacy and Vision of Modern Arnis. As long as the IMAF continues to focus on sharing and expressing the experiences, memories, stories, and teachings of Professor Remy A. Presas, the long-term success of the IMAF will be assured. It is through the guidance of his Legacy and Vision that the IMAF will continue to provide high-quality training, instruction, and promotion, of the Art of Modern Arnis.
As the IMAF leadership team and its Members continue to move forward into its second year of operation, the IMAF and its Members will never forget the essential ingredients of Professor's indomitable spirit which made him so beloved by the IMAF Members: humility, warmth, strategy (Tapi-Tapi), skill, generosity, and laughter.
"You must Go with the Flow!"
Professor Remy Amador Presas (December 19th, 1936 to August 28th, 2001)
Webmaster Wayne Tanguay
International Modern Arnis Federation, LLC.
12 Cherokee Court
Cromwell, CT 06416